If you’re on the hunt for the perfect motherboard to pair with your Ryzen 5 5600, you’ve come to the right place. We’ve done the legwork, sifted through the specs, and tested the performance to bring you a comprehensive guide on the best motherboards for this still decent processor. Whether you’re a seasoned gamer, a content creator, or a casual user, we’ve got you covered.
We understand that choosing the right motherboard can be a daunting task. With a myriad of options available, each boasting different features and specifications, it’s easy to get overwhelmed. That’s why we’ve narrowed down the choices to the top three picks that offer the best performance, value, and compatibility for the Ryzen 5 5600.
We’ve taken into account various factors such as power delivery, overclocking potential, connectivity options, and price to ensure we recommend only the best. So, whether you’re looking for a budget-friendly option, a high-end board with all the bells and whistles, or something in between, we’ve got you covered.
Let’s find the perfect match for your Ryzen 5 5600!
Before moving on make sure you check the following detailed tutorial on how to choose the best motherboard for you: How To Choose The Right Motherboard For Your Needs: A Comprehensive Guide
Want to Put Together an Epic Gaming Build? Check This: The Best Gaming PC Builds
Our Top 3 Picks
- MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK Max Wifi – Our Top Choice
- ASUS ROG Strix X570-E Gaming – Best High End Motherboard For Ryzen 5 5600
- Gigabyte B550 Gaming X V2 – Best Budget Motherboard For Ryzen 5 5600
Why Should You Trust Us?
When it comes to PC building and motherboards, we’re not just enthusiasts; we’re experts. Our lead author, Konstantinos Chiotis, has been immersed in the tech industry for over a decade. His passion for technology and gaming has fueled his dedication to understanding the intricacies of components like motherboards, GPUs, and processors.
Konstantinos has been a PC builder since he was just 14 years old – that’s over 20 years of hands-on experience. His deep knowledge and extensive experience enable him to write with authority and insight on hardware comparisons and reviews. You can trust that our recommendations are based on thorough research, practical experience, and a genuine passion for technology.
- Best Ryzen 5 5600X Gaming PC Builds
- Best Motherboards For Ryzen 5 5500
- Best Motherboards For Ryzen 7 5700g
- Best Motherboard For Ryzen 5 5600X
How We Choose the Best Motherboard for Ryzen 5 5600
As we dive into the process of selecting the best motherboards for the Ryzen 5 5600, it’s important to understand the meticulous approach we’ve taken. Our choices are not random; they are the result of careful consideration of various critical factors. Here’s a detailed look at what we considered:
- Compatibility: The first and foremost factor is compatibility. The motherboard must be compatible with the Ryzen 5 5600 CPU. This means it should ideally have an AM4 socket, which is the socket type that the Ryzen 5 5600 uses. Off course we also considered the chipset since it determines what features the motherboard has. For the Ryzen 5 5600, a B550 or X570 chipset is recommended. The X570 offers more features, but the B550 is more affordable.We also ensured that the motherboards support the latest BIOS updates to avoid any compatibility issues.
- RAM Support: The motherboard should support DDR4 RAM, the current standard for high-performance memory. It should have enough DIMM slots to accommodate the user’s needs, whether they’re a casual user or a hardcore gamer. Furthermore, it should support high-speed RAM, as faster RAM can improve performance in some scenarios, especially in gaming and heavy multitasking.
- PCIe Slots: The number and types of PCIe slots on a motherboard can significantly impact its versatility. The motherboard should have enough PCIe slots for the user’s needs, including slots for graphics cards, sound cards, and other expansion cards. We also considered the support for PCIe 4.0, which offers double the bandwidth of PCIe 3.0, leading to faster data transfer and improved performance.
- Features: We also looked at the additional features that each motherboard offers. These include built-in Wi-Fi and Bluetooth, multiple USB ports, high-quality audio, and advanced cooling solutions. These features can significantly enhance the user experience and provide added convenience.
- Price: The cost of the motherboard was a significant factor. We aimed to find motherboards that offer the best value for their price, providing a balance between cost and features. We considered motherboards across various price ranges to cater to different budgets.
- Reviews and Ratings: We also took into account the reviews and ratings of the motherboards by users and other tech experts. This helped us understand the real-world performance and reliability of the motherboards, beyond what’s mentioned in the spec sheets.
- Brand Reputation: Lastly, we considered the reputation of the motherboard manufacturer. Brands like ASUS, MSI, and Gigabyte are known for their quality, durability, and customer service. We favored motherboards from reputable brands to ensure that our readers get reliable and high-quality products.
By considering these factors, we were able to narrow down our choices to the top three motherboards for the Ryzen 5 5600. Each of these motherboards excels in different areas, catering to a variety of user needs and preferences.
Check Out More AMD Options Here:
|Feature/Aspect||MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK Max Wifi||ASUS ROG Strix X570-E Gaming||Gigabyte B550 Gaming X V2|
|Award||Our Top Choice||Best High End Motherboard||Best Budget Motherboard|
|Chipset||AMD B550||AMD X570||AMD B550|
|Memory||4 x DDR4 slots, 128GB||DDR4 128GB @ 4000MHz||4 x DDR4 DIMM|
|Video Outputs||HDMI™ 2.1, DisplayPort||–||HDMI, DVI-D|
|USB Ports||3x USB 3.2 Gen 1, 6x USB 2.0||Generous USB 3.1 Gen 2||3 x USB 3.2 Gen 1, 1x USB 3.2 Gen 2 Type-A, 2 x USB 2.0|
|Network||Realtek® RTL8125B 2.5Gbps LAN, Wi-Fi 6E||Wi-Fi 6, Realtek 2.5 GbE LAN, Bluetooth 5.0||Realtek® GbE LAN (10/100/1000 Mbit)|
|Storage||6x SATA 6Gb/s, 2x M.2||2x M.2, 6x SATA||4 x SATA 6Gb/s|
|PROS||– Budget-Friendly Price|
– Top-notch VRM Design
– Substantial VRM Heatsinks
– Understated Aesthetics
– Includes Wifi and Bluetooth
|– Robust 16-phase power supply|
– 2.5 Gigabit Ethernet with Wi-Fi 6
– Outstanding overclocking potential
– Generous USB 3.1 Gen 2 ports
– High-quality audio
|– Very Affordable|
– Solid, minimalist design
– Memory speed up to DDR4 4733 MHz
– Impressive 10+3 Phases VRM
|CONS||– Limited Rear USB Ports|
– Minimalistic RGB Lighting
|– Limited to 2x M.2 slots||– Lacks RGB LED|
– Not for heavy overclocking
– Only 4 x SATA connectors
Best Motherboards for Ryzen 5 5600 Reviews
1. MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK Max Wifi – Our Top Choice
Form Factor: ATX | Chipset: AMD B550 | Memory: 4 x DDR4 memory slots, 128GB | Video Outputs: 1x HDMI™ 2.1 port, 1x DisplayPort | USB Ports: 3x USB 3.2 Gen 1 5Gbps ports, 6x USB 2.0 ports | Network: 1x Realtek® RTL8125B 2.5Gbps LAN, AMD Wi-Fi 6E | Storage: 6x SATA 6Gb/s ports, 2x M.2 slots
- Budget-Friendly Price
- Top-notch VRM Design
- Substantial VRM Heatsinks
- Understated Aesthetics
- Includes Wifi and Bluetooth
- Limited Rear USB Ports
- Minimalistic RGB Lighting
The MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk Max Wifi is an affordable motherboard that delivers outstanding value at its price point. With a solid feature set and robust build quality, it’s an ideal pick for those looking to put together a budget friendly gaming rig with the Ryzen 5 5600.
The B550 Tomahawk Max Wifi features an impressive 10+2+1 phase VRM, perfect for enthusiasts looking to push their CPU to the limits. Thanks to MSI’s use of premium-grade chokes and capacitors, this board boasts strong power delivery and exceptional overclocking potential.
To ensure temperature control, MSI has equipped the board with substantial VRM heatsinks, featuring adequate finning. Despite its budget-friendly nature, the B550 Tomahawk Max can unleash your Ryzen 5 5600’s true power through its VRM.
As for the features, this board sits comfortably within the average motherboard category. It offers 2.5 GbE LAN, WiFi, bluetooth and provides two M.2 slots for lightning-fast storage. Additionally, it includes a reasonable number of USB ports, covering both USB 3.0 and 2.0 standards.
The limited rear USB ports may be problematic for some users in the long run. While the feature set is suitable for its price, it does miss out on some advanced features found in higher-end motherboards but when you build a PC with a budget processor like the Ryzen 5 5600 you don’t need over the top features.
Visually, the MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk adopts a subdued gray color scheme, creating a minimalist yet effective aesthetic. A touch of RGB lighting, customizable to any desired color, adds a subtle accent to the design. However, the lighting is somewhat limited and positioned in less conspicuous areas.
With its clean and uncluttered design, the B550 Tomahawk is an excellent choice for those seeking a straightforward, efficient, and affordable motherboard.
MSI also offers the B550 Gaming Pro Carbon at a similar price point, but we give the edge to the B550 Tomahawk due to its superior price-to-performance ratio and more effective VRM heatsinks. The Tomahawk’s thermal management stands out within its class.
In conclusion, the MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk’s primary appeal lies in its remarkable price-to-performance ratio and top-tier VRM design. This board delivers excellent performance at an attractive price, making it an ideal choice for gamers and regular users seeking to pair it with the Ryzen 5 5600.
Want to Find Out More About Motherboards? Learn More Here:
2. ASUS ROG Strix X570-E Gaming – Best High End Motherboard For Ryzen 5 5600
RAM Support: DDR4 128GB @ 4000MHz | Chipset: AMD X570 | Form Factor: ATX | VRM: 12+4 Phases | Storage Options: 2x M.2, 6x SATA | RGB Lighting: Present | Connectivity: Wi-Fi 6, Realtek 2.5 GbE LAN, Bluetooth 5.0
- Robust 16-phase power supply
- 2.5 Gigabit Ethernet complemented by Wi-Fi 6
- Outstanding potential for overclocking
- Generous provision of USB 3.1 Gen 2 ports
- Remarkably high-quality audio
- Limited to just 2x M.2 slots
Diving straight into the review, the ASUS ROG Strix X570-E Gaming motherboard is a top-tier choice for your Ryzen 5 5600. This motherboard is a powerhouse, supporting up to 128GB DDR4 memory at a speed of 4000MHz. It’s built on the AMD X570 chipset and comes in the standard ATX form factor. The voltage regulator is a robust 12+4 phase system, and for storage, you have 2 M.2 slots and 6 SATA ports.
What sets this motherboard apart is its strong power delivery system. The 16-phase power delivery is a testament to its superior performance, making it a reliable choice for your Ryzen 5 5600. The motherboard also boasts 2.5 Gigabit Ethernet and Wi-Fi 6, ensuring high-speed network connectivity.
The overclocking potential of the ASUS ROG Strix X570-E Gaming is impressive, thanks to its robust power delivery system. This motherboard is not just about performance, it also offers a good number of USB 3.1 Gen 2 ports for your peripherals, and the audio quality is surprisingly good, thanks to the SupremeFX audio codec.
The design of the ASUS ROG Strix X570-E Gaming is a visual treat. The black PCB coupled with sleek aluminum heatsinks in a stealthy finish gives it a premium look. The RGB zones, complemented by ASUS Aura Sync, add to the aesthetic appeal of this motherboard.
However, it’s not all sunshine and rainbows. The motherboard has only 2 M.2 slots, which might be a limitation if you’re planning on running more than two M.2 storage devices. Also, it lacks onboard On/Off/Reset buttons, which could be a minor inconvenience for some users.
Despite these minor drawbacks, the ASUS ROG Strix X570-E Gaming stands out as a premium motherboard for your Ryzen 5 5600. It’s a blend of high-end features, stellar performance, and a striking design. Yes, it comes with a hefty price tag, but the performance and features it offers make it worth every penny. If you’re looking for a high-performance, feature-rich motherboard for your Ryzen 5 5600, the ASUS ROG Strix X570-E Gaming is a solid choice.
Want to See More from the ASUS ROG STRIX Line? Check These Out:
3. Gigabyte B550 Gaming X V2 – Best Budget Motherboard For Ryzen 5 5600
Form Factor: ATX | Chipset: AMD B550 | VRM: 10+3 Phases | Memory: 4 x DDR4 DIMM | Video Outputs: 1 x HDMI port, 1 x DVI-D port | USB Ports: 2 x USB 2.0/1.1 ports, 3 x USB 3.2 Gen 1 ports, 1 x USB 3.2 Gen 2 Type-A port | Network: Realtek® GbE LAN chip (10/100/1000 Mbit) | Storage: 4 x SATA 6Gb/s
- Very Affordable with a focus on essential features
- Solid, minimalist design with brushed black metal accents
- Memory speed up to DDR4 4733 MHz
- Impressive 10+3 Phases with Low RDS(on) MOSFETs
- Lacks flashy aesthetic features like RGB LED
- Not suitable for heavy overclocking
- Only 4 x SATA 6Gb/s connectors available
Let’s cut to the chase and talk about the Gigabyte B550 Gaming X V2, a budget-friendly motherboard that’s an absolute steal for the Ryzen 5 5600. This motherboard is a shining example of Gigabyte’s commitment to stripping back the fluff and focusing on what truly matters for gamers.
The Gigabyte B550 Gaming X V2 is a no-nonsense piece of hardware. It’s got a sturdy, straightforward design, all black with a touch of gray patterns. The brushed black metal on the heatsink of the integrated graphics adds a touch of class. And let’s be honest, the absence of RGB LED is a breath of fresh air. Not every gamer or regular user needs their rig to light up like a Christmas tree, right?
This motherboard, powered by the B550 chipset, is a solid mid to high-end model. The B550 chipset outperforms the B450 in speed and overclocking potential, making it a savvy investment. And let’s face it, the B550 is the sweet spot for AMD chipsets to pair with a budget processor. Anything higher and you’re paying for features you probably won’t use.
The B550 chipset caps the motherboard’s memory at DDR4 4733 MHz, but let’s be real, that’s plenty fast for most of us especially if you want to pair it with the 5600. It also has 4 x DDR4 DIMM sockets with a total capacity of 128 GB, offering 32 GB per slot.
The cooling system of the Gigabyte B550 Gaming X V2 is a real gem. It’s designed to handle mid-range workloads, so while it can handle some overclocking, don’t get carried away with a processor exceeding 100W. But if you’re not into overclocking, a 100W model will work just fine.
The motherboard features 10+3 Phases with Low RDS(on) MOSFETs, which is quite a feat for a board in this price range. It requires a 24-pin ATX main power connector and an 8-pin ATX 12V power connector to function properly. It also has 2x M.2 connectors, with the first one supporting PCIe 4.0, depending on the CPU.
In terms of connectivity, the motherboard is well-equipped with a variety of headers for fans, LED strips, front panel, and audio. It also offers 4 x SATA 6Gb/s connectors.
The back panel features a pre-installed I/O shield for easy installation, and a Q-flash plus button for hassle-free BIOS updates.
In conclusion, the Gigabyte B550 Gaming X V2 is a fantastic budget choice for a B550 motherboard to pair with the Ryzen 5 5600. But hey, if you’re into more flashy designs, you might want to check out alternatives like the next motherboard on our list.
Want to Explore More Ryzen Motherboards? Check These Out:
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- Are X570 motherboards compatible with Ryzen 5 5600? Most X570 motherboards should support 5000 series CPUs like the Ryzen 5 5600 out of the box. Look for a “Zen3 ready” or “5000 series compatible” label for confirmation.
- Are B450 motherboards compatible with Ryzen 5 5600? Most B450 motherboards, are compatible with Ryzen 5 5600. However, compatibility can vary, so it’s best to check with the seller or manufacturer.
- What are the key features to look for in a motherboard for Ryzen 5 5600? The key features to look for include support for AM4 socket, DDR4 memory, PCIe 4.0, and high-speed Ethernet or Wi-Fi. Also, consider the number of USB ports, SATA ports, and M.2 slots for SSDs.
- Does the size of the motherboard matter for Ryzen 5 5600? The size of the motherboard (ATX, Micro-ATX, Mini-ITX) doesn’t affect the performance of Ryzen 5 5600, but it does determine the size of the case you’ll need and the number of expansion slots and ports available.
- How important is the RAM speed support in a motherboard for Ryzen 5 5600? Ryzen CPUs benefit from higher RAM speeds, so a motherboard that supports higher speed DDR4 RAM (3200MHz or more) can improve performance.
- Do I need a motherboard with Wi-Fi for Ryzen 5 5600? If you plan to connect to the internet wirelessly, then yes. Otherwise, a motherboard with an Ethernet port would suffice.
- What’s the advantage of having more USB ports in the motherboard for Ryzen 5 5600? More USB ports allow for more peripherals to be connected simultaneously, such as keyboard, mouse, headset, and external storage devices.
- Is RGB lighting important in a motherboard for Ryzen 5 5600? RGB lighting doesn’t affect performance. It’s purely aesthetic and can be important if you want to customize the look of your PC.
- How does the power phase design in a motherboard affect the performance of Ryzen 5 5600? A good power phase design ensures stable and clean power delivery to the CPU, which is important for stable operation and overclocking. A motherboard with more power phases can typically provide better stability and efficiency.